What is now known as STEPHEN TEMPLE Church of God In Christ had its beginning in 1938 when Overseer Cleveland L. Anderson brought Elder B.T. Stephen to Mount Clemens, Michigan for the purpose of setting up a church. Elder Stephen held his first meeting in the home of Sister Georgia Jones and shortly thereafter Deacon and Mother Emory Housch agreed to work with Elder Stephen in establishing a church. The place of worship moved from the home of Sister Georgia Jones to the home of Sisters Corrine Washington and Mary Richardson on Meadle Street. In the summer of 1938, Elder Stephen went to Ohio and purchased the top and back of a tent and set it up on the corner which our present church edifice now stands. Deacon Housch constructed some benches for the people to sit on and service was held in the tent as long as the weather permitted. There were many people on Mount Clemens who stated that there would ” never be a Church Of God In Christ in Mount Clemens” and tried to discourage the small group of worshippers by throwing tomatoes and other debris on the people during the tent services. On occasions when the wind would blow the tent down, Elder Stephen would come in from Pontiac, Michigan where he lived and with the help of others would have it set back up.When the cold winter set in, it was necessary to hold the meetings indoors. Deacon and Mother Housch opened the doors of their home to the members.
STEPHEN TEMPLE Church of God In Christ was formally organized as a corporation under the laws of the State of Michigan in 1940. Around 1941 or 1942 a little building that had been a store was offered for sale at 80 Kibbee Street and this small congregation consisting of Sisters Mary Richardson, Edna Dulin, Annie Hopson, Ardella Housch and Bro. Emory Housch was interested in purchasing the building. Elder Stephen requested each member to contribute the sum of $20.00 to make up the necessary down payment toward the purchase of the property. The building was then purchased and remodeled as a church and the congregation now had a church home. Shortly afterwards, there were approximately ten people added to the church. It was also during this time that the officers and auxiliaries of the church were formally set up, to wit, deacons, trustees, church mother and others. The first church mother was Mother Florence Moten and those following her were Mothers Lula Kitts and Ardella Housch, who was appointed in 1956.In 1955, the members of STEPHEN TEMPLE Church of God In Christ purchased the land on which our present church edifice stands and after groundbreaking services, construction on the church began and the church as it stands today was completed in 1957. This was accomplished with a membership of approximately twenty-five members and since that time, many members have been added to the church. We have been blessed to have many servicemen and their families from Selfridge Air Base to place them under the watch care of Elder Stephen and they remained with us until they had orders to move on.
OUR BELIEF CONCERNING THE BIBLE
We believe the Bible to be the inspired and only infallible written Word of God
OUR BELIEF CONCERNING GOD
We believe that there is One God; eternally existence in three Persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
OUR BELIEF CONCERNING THE CHURCH
We believe in the Blessed Hope, which is the rapture of the church of God, which is in Christ at His return.
OUR BELIEF CONCERNING SIN
We believe that the only means of being cleansed from sin, is through repentance, faith in the precious blood of Jesus Christ and being baptized in water.
OUR BELIEF CONCERNING SALVATION
We believe that regeneration by the Holy Ghost is absolutely essential for personal salvation.
OUR BELIEF CONCERNING CHRIST
We believe that the redemptive work of Christ on the Cross provides healing for the human body in answer to believing in prayer.
OUR BELIEF CONCERNING THE HOLY GHOST
We believe that the baptism in the Holy Ghost, according to Acts 2;4, is given to believers who asks for it.
OUR BELIEF CONCERNING SANCTIFICATION
We believe in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling, the Christian is enabled to live a Holy and separated life in this present world. Amen!
Stephen Temple Church of God in Christ | All Rights Reserved